Baker Academic

Monday, February 17, 2014

Honest Business Cards - Le Donne

The business card is almost obsolete. Academics, I've found, are relying more and more on their faculty webpages to introduce themselves professionally. It won't be long before our institutions stop providing business cards altogether. This is a shame because I have spent years accumulating a collection of business cards (some are quite rare).* 

Sometimes I meet these folks at professional meetings; sometimes it's just a fun powwow over coffee. But if its somebody I admire, I make sure to ask for their business card. My favorite kind of card is one that is just simple and honest. For example, here's mine:


I see no reason to inflate my success. I've done okay; not great. My grammar is decent for the grandson of a coal miner. My kids are pretty well behaved. My online scrabble rating is above 1000. I floss. I eat kale from time to time. I can be honest with myself: not bad, not great either. So why not just say so on my business card? 

Well anyway, my point is that I appreciate honesty in a business card. So here are a few of my favorites:































...and, of course, here is one of my most prized possessions. The business card of my colleague and close friend, Prof. Chris Keith:


If you happen to have a good idea for an honest business card, I'd love to hear it!

-anthony


*all of the business cards featured in this post are totally real and not fake in any way.

22 comments:

  1. I started to load a new blog post, but I think this needs to stand for a couple days. You have no idea how long it took me to get that butterfly to hold still for the picture on my card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would send you mine...but that would be anonymity blown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Chris Keith's and Chris Tilling's too. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel sassy and spirit-filled w. that background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed out loud at T. Michael Law's and Tom Wright's. Hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once met someone whose (real) card read "independently unemployed".

    ReplyDelete
  7. My business card says: "This card counts as a publication."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice indeed, Anthony! A tertiary musing: the predominant focus on the Second Testament is understandably pronounced (factoring in the scholarly Quelle). Perhaps, though, there could be a subsequent rendition focusing on the First Testament... Marcionites might be disappointed, but Ebionites would surely rejoice at being remembered :)

    [yes, correct you are, a punning allusion to Jerusalem council....from a fellow in Tel Aviv[.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't "OMG" a bit blasphemous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,

      We will have to ask James McGrath what "#OMG" means. It is unclear to me. What do you think it means?

      -anthony

      Delete
    2. My, my. The Orthodoxy Police get more finicky every year.

      Delete
  10. I'd like to order about 100.

    My wife would like to order about 500.

    ReplyDelete