Baker Academic

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Snipe Hunting for a Free Snodgrass!—Chris Keith

I suspect that a few of you readers of the Jesus Blog have been snipe hunting.  If you haven't been, please let me know and I'll organize a snipe hunt for SBL next November.  I understand that the snipe in Denver are huge.

Even among those of you who are proficient snipe-hunters, though, I imagine few of you have ever hunted, much less seen, a Snodgrass.  The Snodgrass is an important but unassuming animal.  It's hard to catch because it doesn't draw attention to itself; there's no trail for the hunter to follow because the Snodgrass doesn't drag its ego behind it.  But beware the person who forgets or ignores the Snodgrass, because the Snodgrass is quietly authoritative, comprehensive in its approach, subtle in its takedown.  Before you know it, the Snodgrass has snuck up on you, disassembled your gear, left you discombobulated, and disappeared to the place from whence it came.  Like Aslan, the Snodgrass is dangerous, but good.

Beware, friends, because the Snodgrass is new and improved.  A second edition is coming out and  Eerdmans, as friends of the Jesus Blog, have decided to give away a free copy.  You can enter by leaving a comment here, sharing us on social media (and leaving a comment to let us know you did), signing up to follow the blog (and leaving a comment to let us know you did), or, the wild card entry, sharing in the comments your closest encounter with a snipe. 

34 comments:

  1. Ha! I have already ordered my own Snodgrass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my best friends have seen snipes.

    I like them best with Chick-Fil-A sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have posted on social media! Kudos to the Snodgrass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have met the Snodgrass and would like to get his book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woot, Woot. I shared on social media and signed up for the blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shared on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting! I have shared this on Twitter, and I follow the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the opportunity to win the book. I've shared this on Twitter, LinkedIn, WordPress. I also follow the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shared on Facebook, excited to see this offer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's true -- the snipe do grow big out here in Denver. Indeed, my closest snipe-encounter was in this snipe-riddled town. Almost as soon as we were moved-in to our new apartment on Colorado Blvd, I found a snipe making itself at home, sitting there right on the bed. I stood there in the doorway for a second, a bit dumbfounded, but then gathered my wits and said "Buddy, you gotta go." With a doleful look, he turned, slid off the side of the bed, and quick-stepped his way out the door. Not exactly the most hair-raising snipe-experience but a memorable one nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snipe Hunting was coin of the realm at Round Lake Camp. With woods, lake, and swamps the hunting was grand, especially for those who planned these. I was inducted in 1959, and then led many at many church camps through the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Round Lake! I've never been there but apparently my wife when there as a teenager. I think NT scholar Scott Bartchy worked there for a while also. Hope you're doing well, Myron!

      Delete
  13. I once saw Chuck Norris catching snipes-- they know his voice and they follow him.

    Timm Hein (thisistimm@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. posted on Twitter... a snipe already retweeted it.

    Timm Hein
    (thisistimm@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am following this blog. Sent here via blog roll at ETC blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. He had softly and suddenly vanished away, for the Snark was a Boojum, you see. Is the Snodgrass related?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do we know what differences there are between this edition and the first? I have made extensive use of the first edition.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoop whoop! A great book whose first edition I checked out of the library more than once in grad school -- would love to see the second edition. If I had any social media presence I'd totally post this, but alas this is all I can do.

    Cheers,

    Joshua Chestnut
    (joshuachestnut@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Closest encounter was at a Boy Scout jamboree. Just after a young scout’s search for the left-handed smoke shifter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this Snodgrass sounds dangerous - who let it into the country. Probably Obama...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here in Missouri, snipes are usually found lurking in the tall snodgrass.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Posted on FB: https://www.facebook.com/WanderinCynic?hc_ref=ARQK_ixFhVYjS42Yio3kV4Br4AwqSb3Jy5DElX0ym-NNL9q0IeZrRPrBHZf1z_ZD8Bk

    ReplyDelete
  23. Put me in the running. Already shared and subscribed.

    ReplyDelete